Everybody has asked the question, and they learned to ask it early of the abolitionists, “What shall we do with the Negro?” I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!I'd say this could apply equally to any group targeted by government legislation:
- What shall we do with the Jews?
- What shall we do with the Irish?
- What shall we do with the LGBTQQ crowd?
- What shall we do with the conservative Christians?
- What shall we do with the gun owners?
[Hat tip: Thomas Sowell, writing at Townhall, who also notes that Frederick Douglas "saw the dangers from well-meaning whites" as far back as the 1860s. Little has changed since then.]